Thursday, May 7, 2020.
I have informed you that we have reached the most critical phase in the spread of the virus.
Today we are reaching the peak of the epidemic curve, so the number of contagions will continue to increase and, therefore, pose a greater danger for all.
We are at a pivotal moment in which every effort must be made to slow down the spread of COVID-19 and save lives.
Once again, I call on you to be disciplined during these times.
Let’s stay home!
Let’s save lives!
We are the masters of our own destiny, and the challenge we are facing is not beyond our strength.
Our anguish, fears and uncertainties will not overcome our resilience, if we have faith in ourselves.
Since the beginning of this pandemic, we have been in constant communication with all of you on the evolution of the coronavirus.
We strive for transparency, providing daily updates on number of confirmed cases, recoveries and deaths.
The life-saving measures taken since the very beginning have not always been popular, but are necessary to prevent spread.
Your dedication to social isolation, staying at home, washing hands, using masks, reducing mobility to the bare minimum and maintaining social distance have proved essential in the control and containment of the virus.
As we enter the spread’s peak, we must double our efforts as it is always better to prevent than to cure.
We must continue working as a team, following the guidance of experts and authorities to conduct best practice safety measures at home.
In order to establish where the most affected areas are, we designed a satellite mapping system that pin-points the exact location of each confirmed case.
The system also identifies densely populated areas that pose the highest potential risk of spread. This enabling us to focus specifically on informing and encourage people in those places to avoid gathering in large numbers.
I want to assure you all that we have prepared, strengthened and increased our hospital infrastructure. At present time, we have enough capacity to take care of patients from all over the state, focusing specifically on highly contaminated areas like Cancun and Playa del Carmen.
We are pleased to share that due to our worst-case scenario planning, our hospitals are well equipped. Of the over one thousand beds available, only 21 percent are occupied, leaving 79 percent availability. Of the almost 300 beds available in intensive care units, only 18 percent are occupied, leaving 82 percent available.
At present time, we are working to increase stockpiles and solve supply chain issues around protective equipment that keeps our medical personnel safe.
I personally oversee and verify the security equipment and inventory, placing special attention to finding N95 masks for which are in short supply globally.
From now on we should not lack these essential items.
I care about the health of our medical personnel, whom I recognize and thank for their enormous contribution to the health care of our state’s families.
Any complaint or inquiry on personal protective equipment for medical staff should be reported immediately to the hospital authorities who will report to me personally.
We are paying special attention to our fellow citizens who are vulnerable due to chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity and smoking.
We are also paying special attention to the elderly and pregnant women.
We are also looking out for the staff that serves and protects us, such as the Quintana Roo Police, the National Guard, the military and the marines as well as firefighting crews.
These efforts also take into account criminal justice and labor officials, the public works staff who provide our water, electricity and cleaning services; and essential workers who manage food supply, medicine and fuel.
Within the “5 for Family Peace” program, the government has delivered more than 500,000 food pantries door to door.
We will continue to do more, helping with water, electricity, gas and healthcare.
And we will continue to do so!
The involvement of almost the entire economic sector has been inspiring and is a demonstration of great commitment and solidarity.
As a result, we have recently signed a pact with employers and workers to continue coordinating and supporting each other to resume business activities.
The municipal presidents play a key role in helping us get ready to turn the corner of this pandemic, mainly in the isolation and social distancing measures in the cities. I thank them for their adherence to social distancing measures.
My thanks to the legislators of the State Congress, who have been attentive to developments in the state and continue to generate ideas to improve our work.
Today many of them are joining the Unity Pact for Quintana Roo.
Like students all over the state, who continue their daily studies through tele-education and distance learning, we are all doing our homework, but we must not give up.
This is not the time to say we’re going out on the street tomorrow as if nothing had happened.
We are in the most important time of the battle.
It is here and now that our immediate future will be defined.
Let us maintain our resolve and our will to overcome the pandemic.
If we do it right, we’ll be ready to jump-start the reactivation into the new social order with all our strength.
If we all cooperate and unite; if we strengthen our solidarity, and if we strongly maintain our decision to work together, I assure you that we will enter a happier and brighter era.
Let us be clear that we face two pressing, parallel tasks:
One, we must restore Quintana Roo’s prosperity, and two, we must adopt those collective security measures that will prevent the epidemic from happening again.
If in the coming months we rise to the occasion, we may once again find the key that opens the doors to a safe and happy future for all.
Let us take care of ourselves at home, let us redouble our efforts, side by side, with spirit and hope, because Together We Will Succeed!